1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, If you'd like to instant message with many other users, then join our
    Official Rune-Status Discord Server!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Got your own Server? Looking for a Server to play right now??
    Make sure you check out the Public Server Directory!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're new to the Rsps Scene and want to jump straight into learning how to Set-up and Customise your own RuneScape Private Sever then check out the Guides and Tutorials for RS2 here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest,
Are you sure your posting in the Right Sections?
If your unsure which RuneTek version you are working with visit this page to find out.

How to set-up an Rsps Pt.1: Environment

Discussion in 'Guides & Tutorials' started by Ian, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Hello People,
    In this article I am going to run you through the basics of setting up and running a RuneScape Private Server. (It doesn't matter which Server or Revision you decide to use.)​

What is a RuneScape Private Server?
    The creators of the Official RuneScape game Jagex developed their game in such a way that they had created a web-client for players to connect to the game from their browsers as opposed to the executable that was also available. This meant that players could easily choose, load and then login-to the RuneScape world of their choice with ease.

Having such a feature though enabled some smart-arse users to download the ‘Client’ (the way players connect to the game) via the website. From here those smart-arses unzipped the client files to find .Class files (more on those later) and decompiled them. Decompilation is a type of reverse engineering. Having these .Class files being readable .Java files enabled the smart-arses to evaluate Jagex’s Client code and see how the client relates to the Official Servers (Worlds).​

Info
    This is pretty much the same for when developers create Customized RuneScape Clients (i.e. Botting – although Reflection is the preferred method these days as Jagex has cracked down significantly.)

Being able to see how the RuneScape Client sent and received information to and from the Server enabled more smart-arses to develop what it commonly known as a Private Server. A Private server is what you would call your own RuneScape World. Where you and the people you allow would be able to connect to and given enough time spent developing – Play. The perks of having your own Private Server are the complete ownership of the code… meaning you can pretty much add/remove or change anything you like in the game. Replicating real RuneScape or coming up with an entirely new game using the content available in the Client data (or even custom shit.) for you and/or your user-base to get involved in – concise.

Info
    Other famous ‘Private Servers’ include World of Warcraft, Habbo Hotel and also recently Pokémon GO!

Read about the Evolution of RuneScape Private Servers (RSPS) here.

The Communitys that discuss and develop RuneScape Private servers are littered with 'Servers' that are all based on the same 'Framework', now dispite there being possibly thousands of released 'Server Sources' online for revision #317 in these communities specificly - there are only really a handful of Good Frameworks, and 2 which have been adopted for the majority of RSPS but have been saturated with add-ons, excessive duplicate code and have had tutorials followed out on them to an extent they are unrecognisable from the original Framework that was developed.

Good Frameworks:
    Other Frameworks:
    • Hyperion by Graham.
    • Project Insanity by Sanity.
    The problem with choosing a 'Server Source' is that everybody wants instant gratification from running a server, instead of developing something that could potentially be massive, people tend to download servers that have alot of content - they want game play instantly on login.

However the best servers online were not developed from sources filled with content they were built up from Frameworks, they may not have writted all the code themselves and they most certainly dived into content filled sources to get content to port over to their framework. Why would you completly re-write all the data when its already there?

For this guide/article I will be using the 'Project Astraeus' Framework by VultR (aka Free) which you can read about here.

From here I will be speaking about the following points;
    • What is Java, and where can I get it.
    • What is an IDE and why do I need one.
    • Compile? What does that mean??
    • Finally > Run.
    Running your own server is not as easy as you think, to become a scaled server with a lot of players you need to think about other things such as Project Management and Content, then there are costs involved too with Advertising and Hosting. Though to run a server for personal use is much simpler and free.

First of all, let’s make sure you have the correct Software on your terminal… 99.9% of RuneScape Private Servers are written in the Java programming language, some also use additional sub-languages like Kotlin or jRuby, depending on the framework involved.

#1 Ian, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. [​IMG]
    What is Java, and where can I get it.
    According to Wikipedia:
    Software to download list:
    • Java JDK (approx. 200mb)
    • Eclipse (approx. 400mb)
    Eclipse Neon - https://www.eclipse.org/
    For help Installing visit here.​
    • Notepad++ (approx. 4mb)
    Info
    Ofcause other IDE’s are available for developers and Advanced Editors too, here are a few other IDE’s and Editors you may be interested in looking into

Editors:
    IDE's:
    For help installing any of these products please visit here - https://www.bing.com/?q=help+installing+NAME_HERE

Important
    You will need to bear in mind what type of system you operate under, x86 or x64, when downloading/installing your selected software – especially for the Java JDK!! You can check this if you don’t already know in Windows simply by Right-Clicking on ‘My Computer’ or ‘This PC’ and choosing ‘Properties’ to view the basic information about your terminal. Look under the ‘System’ section of the information and look for ‘System Type’ – I use a laptop dual booting Windows 10 and Kali Linux – I have a 64-bit architecture, all Laptops do. But don’t get confused – x64 (64-bit) can run both 32-bit and 64-bit software, x86 (32-bit) can only run 32-bit Software!! It’s important to know this about your terminal it allows you greater scope in what you can and can’t do with your machine. Also when moving up from revision-317 to the likes of revision-508 which have HD-Clients you will need to choose between x86 and x64 DLL’s – Fact, but not to worry about that for now.
    Once you have successfully downloaded and installed the 3 necessary programs from above and rebooted your machine, you should create a file-system for your Projects. I always have a ‘Projects Folder’ in the top-right hand of my Desktop where I have quick access to any of the projects I need and also any tools associated, this enables you to keep a clean work space.

Now your machine is ready to read and run code you’ve written or run.

#2 Ian, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  3. [​IMG]
    IDE: What is an ‘IDE’ and why do I need one?

“An integrated development environment (IDE) is a software application that provides comprehensive facilities to computer programmers for software development. An IDE normally consists of a source code editor, build automation tools and a debugger. Most modern IDEs have intelligent code completion. Some IDEs, such as NetBeans and Eclipse, contain a compiler, interpreter, or both; others, such as SharpDevelop and Lazarus, do not. The boundary between an integrated development environment and other parts of the broader software development environment is not well-defined. Sometimes a version control system, or various tools to simplify the construction of a Graphical User Interface (GUI), are integrated. Many modern IDEs also have a class browser, an object browser, and a class hierarchy diagram, for use in object-oriented software development.”​

Back in the day when I was floating around Kaitnieks looking for some Scar script or another, I stumbled onto a post by WinterLove: ‘RS2 Private Server’, I had no idea what this meant but I read anyway, It had a download link which contained an archive of maybe 5 .Java files.

As the days moved on more and more posts flooding Kaitnieks were about this RS2 Private server… until again I stumbled onto a tutorial of how to connect to one. And I did. <3

But this is not the point I’m aiming to make, the point is how much RSPS have moved on from being able to login, walk talk and click on dummies next to Varrock bank to train. Be able to click “::fuck name_here” to literally rape another player – animations and all. To something of a legit project if you spend enough time on.

Back in the day there was an honest problem of the methods handling the packets running out of space. They were a mess. Nowadays however people are starting to follow real conventions of the language, using packaging and finally moving on from Javas NIO or Apache Mina. People are using latest shit to make the servers a lot better, from CSV to JSON, TXT to SQL.

Before IDE’s you would open a file with Notepad or Notepad++ if you were in the know lol. Now it’s possible to upload and download your files to and from your team with a click. This is what I want you to get used to doing and I will guide you through the setting up of your IDE here and now to future-proof your project for maybe a month or so.

Setting up your IDE.
    If your following this guide to the tee you will have a piece of Software called ‘Eclipse’ linked on your desktop. I want you to open this.

The fist window after the splash screen will ask you to Select your workspace – regardless as to where you keep your projects I want you to change the
    to
    and check the ‘do not ask me again’, then OK. Ok?​

Now firstly we are going to update the Eclipses 'Gradle', this will be more useful as you grow into a developer but for now I will explain how to do this, So when Eclipse has opened, on the menu click: Help > Eclipse Marketplace
    On this window I want you to search for ‘Gradle’ and scroll down to ‘Buidship Gradle Integration 1.0’, Click: ‘Install/Installed’ > Upgrade > Confirm once resolved, accept ULA and Finish. Restart of Eclipse will be required.
    If you are having trouble doing this then check out this poor video I made showing how to do it:

Next I want you to download ‘Lombok’ > Project Lombok - https://projectlombok.org/download.html
    Recommended: Read about Project Lombok here: Project Lombok - https://projectlombok.org/

Firstly, Close Eclipse entirely before following the next steps.

When you double-click to run Lombok (lombok.jar) to are treated to a screen with a chilli on the window, if you have followed this tutorial and have no previous IDE’s properly installed on your machine it will tell you that it hasn’t been able to find an IDE and to specify a location.

Click ‘Specify Location…’ if no IDE could be found and navigate to the /user.home/ directory, here you can navigate through the folder named ‘eclipse’ and find the eclipse.exe this is the location. Next it will show up on the Lombok screen in the textbox are that eclipse has been selected, next click ‘Install / Update’.​

Done, your IDE can now use Lombok in the way it was specified in the Lombok video from the ‘Read about...’ link.

Help
    Sometimes after installing Lombok people have issues opening Eclipse through the link on the Desktop, they click to open it, it loads for a second then stops. There is a simple fix for this: Right click on the Desktop shortcut and click the ‘Open file location’ menu item. This will navigate your file browser to the eclipse folder inside user.home, here you will notice Lombok.jar now exists from the install. Next thing to do is delete the Desktop shortcut, right click on the ‘eclipse.exe’ application and create a new shortcut, drag and drop this or cut and paste on to the desktop. Rename this ‘Eclipse Java Neon’ and it should run just fine now. Done.

For further help on installing Project Lombok to your IDE please take a look at this poor video i made for extra guidence:

You can now run Eclipse as normal as everything you will need to continue this guide is now available and ready to use in any of your projects and you are ready to move forward in this guide.

Thanks!

If you do want to continue with the guide then please follow this link once you have double checked everything is setup and in order from this guide: How to set up an Rsps Pt.2: Client

#3 Ian, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. WOW you packed a TON of information in here, and this is only part one! Props for giving the new guys something to go off of, because I can see already the thousands of new programmers that could use this instead of posting on threads and getting flamed elsewhere. Thanks mate!

5. Good shit man. Way more informative than I'd have expected, props lad!

Tags: